Return to the Native Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Where to Find Elderberry?

Posted by vinteuil Florida (My Page) on
Sun, Sep 15, 13 at 1:17

Hi everyone,

I'm new to the forum so I apologize if I'm posting this in the wrong place.

As a hobbyist watchmaker I use a fair amount of "pith wood" to clean tools and parts. It's a soft wood that I hear comes from the Elderberry shrub. Just a few grams of this stuff can cost $10 from the horological supply shops.

I've heard that Elderberry is practically a weed and grows wild all over the country. What I'm wondering is does anyone know a good place to find some that I could harvest for the pith. It seems like there's enough of it out there that no one would miss it and I wouldn't feel like a sap for buying it at such a high price.

Thanks for any help or leads!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Where to Find Elderberry?

Most people on this forum would not look kindly on harvesting material from the wild like that. That said, it is true that Elderberry grows abundantly around here, at least, mostly in rather damp and inaccessible places.

If you would like to plant some on your own property, I know that Stark carries them. So does Miller. You would be doing a favor to wildlife, since the berries are very beneficial to the birds. The plants are attractive and extremely easy to grow.

http://www.starkbros.com/products/berry-plants/elderberry-plants;jsessionid=622235A58B4C3EE1A874C962F2C16353

http://www.millernurseries.com/cart.php?m=product_list&c=51

HTH,
Liz

Here is a link that might be useful: Elderberry information from the USDA

o
RE: Where to Find Elderberry?

• Posted by kchd 7b Mississippi (My Page) on
    Sun, Sep 22, 13 at 22:24

I have lots of elderberry plants; it grows all over the place here. If you want some stalks, I would gladly send you some for postage. Feel free to email me directly and we can work out the details.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Native Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here