SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
agkistrodon

Native wildflower advice please!

agkistrodon
10 years ago

Hello!

What would you recommend I plant in a "cleared" area that is subject to being overrun in late summer and fall by hay/weedy long grass? I have found that no matter how hard I try to clear the hay in the fall it comes back relentlessly in late summer. I do not have equipment or $ to clear the area mechanically and although I'm going to try and mulch some of the area this fall I know I'm fighting an uphill battle. So, what I'm looking for is something similar to goldenrod (goldenrod seems to grow incredibly well here). I have bought some joe pye rootstock and while I'd love to have a beautifully integrated mix of species I know that that most would not be able to compete in this environment. I have some Asclepias syriaca that has managed to survive and though I know joe pye and common milkweed can be aggressive species...they are native here and I'd rather be overrun by them than by hay!

So can you throw in a few more aggressive yet native species that might have a chance of survival here? The area is in N. VA but is about 10 degs colder than urban areas because it's in the mtns. Though it's surrounded by woodland, the immediate area is devoid of trees and has only the shade of spicebushes and a few tulip poplar seedlings. It tends to bake in the summer. I actually saw a monarch butterfly on a goldenrod yesterday and we have hummers around so I need aggressive, yet native, butterfly/hummer magnet wildflowers that won't wilt in periods of little rain/baking sun.

Any input would be GREATLY appreciated!

Thank-you!

Comments (7)

Sponsored
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators in Franklin County