Return to the Native Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Good native thistles or nettles?

Posted by flutterbug 5NH (My Page) on
Tue, Sep 12, 06 at 9:43

I am wondering if there are any well behaved native thistles or nettles. I would like to attract Painted Ladies to lay eggs on them. I did a search and there seems to be only invasive and non-native ones. I love butterflies but I refuse to plant anything bad for our native plants.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Good native thistles or nettles?

http://extension.missouri.edu/explore/agguides/pests/ipm1015.htm
Thistles are blooming now, can be beautiful and are great nectar plants.
The above link will give you some insight into which thistles are less desireable and how to ID them.
Keep in mind that the info there is for Mo. and may or may not be applicable for you.
huzzah

o

look around this site for more data on what is native or not
in your area.
http://plants.usda.gov/index.html

o

Around here, two common native thistles that are good for butterflies are tall thistle and field thistle.

I agree with huzzah -- look these up on the USDA PLANTS website to see if they are native to your area. If you enter the genus name 'Cirsium' in a scientific name search, you will get a long list of species. If you select the first entry (the genus name, Cirsium), it will open a page with a series of distribution maps of the various species at the bottom. Click on maps that include your state, and check to see which are native. For example, field thistle, Cirsium discolor, is native to New England. Many native thistles are listed as 'weeds' by state agriculture agencies, so I wouldn't worry too much about that.

You might have trouble finding a commercial source for thistle seeds, because the demand is probably not great. But if you can find a nature area that has native thistles, collecting seeds is easy this time of the year.

o

I found two perennial nettle-like species that grow in your and my area.Urtica canadensis,wood nettel and Urtica cylindrica,False nettle.They both grow in rich or moist woods.They're prettier plants than the common nettle,Wood nettle is much less vicious than stinging nettle and False nettle lacks stinging hairs entirely.I usually see them growing in the undisturbed wet thickets and swamps in my area.Don't know if they are food sources for Painted Ladies,but they are nice plants to have in a shady wet spot.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Native Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here