Return to the Native Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
what is this red berry plant?

Posted by trisha_51 z4 (My Page) on
Wed, Sep 28, 05 at 11:30

We were at the Wisconsin Dells, on the Lost Canyon trip, and saw a short plant with a red, single, berry-like fruit on about a 4" stalk. There was no flower, and the leaves were a bit rag-tag. Until I can get my DH to post the picture we took, does anyone want to take a stab at naming it? Thankss!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: what is this red berry plant?

• Posted by Pam_AA z5 Berwyn Il. (My Page) on
    Wed, Sep 28, 05 at 13:47

Could be teaberry (Gaultheria procumbens).

Here is a link that might be useful: Virginia Tech

o

I noticed around here that False Solomon's seal has red berries (the others could've fallen off or been eaten on yours, leaving only one).

Here is a link that might be useful: Smilacina racemosa

o

Teaberry (Wintergreen) would be my first guess, too. Another possibility would be Cornus canadensis - Bunchberry.

Here is a link that might be useful: Cornus canadensis

o

Jack in the pulpit is often reduced to just a stalk and a bunch of red fruits that look like a large berry at this time of year. What's left is pretty showy.

Here is a link that might be useful: Jack in the pulpit

o

LOL...what a mystery without a picture but the first thing that popped into my mind was False Solomon's Seal. With Jacks the berries do not seem to palitable to animals and birds (just my guess cuz nothing ever touches all the jacks in my yard) but with the FSS the berries tend to fall or get eaten and they are often left with just one or two on the tip that had not ripened at the time of the feast and they ripen later. FSS leaves can also look pretty sad by this time of year as well.

Can't wait to see the photo to see who might have hit the nail on the head. ;o)

Barb
southern Ontario, CANADA zone 6a

o

Mitchella repens perhaps?

o

I used to give tours at Lost Canyon and the plant you are asking about is definitely a jack in the pulpit

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Native Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here