Return to the Native Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Using aggressive prairie plants to outcompete field bindweed

Posted by nlrockfans Illinois (My Page) on
Thu, Sep 16, 10 at 11:43

I have field bindweed coming up everywhere. It seemed to start where I put in native plant gardens. I wasn't sure what it was at first but after a couple of years this stuff is everywhere. My native plant garden is mainly prairie dropseed and low growing plants which do not stop this weed. If I planted taller more aggressive natives would they outcompete the bindweed? I'm thinking of trying Indian Grasses, Cupplant, Sweet Blackeyed Susans and anything else tall and vigorous. Would this work?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Using aggressive prairie plants to outcompete field bindweed

Out compete bindweed. Hmmm...

Well, I have hedge bindweed (field bindweed's larger cousin) out competing Aegopodium planted by the previous owner and aegopodium is one of those nasty aggressive invasives. If bindweed can take out another invasive, I don't hold out a lot of hope for native plants.

Is it a large area or is it small enough that *you* can wage war against the bindweed rather than just trying to crowd it out? I ask because I think you'll have more success versus it than your native plants will.

FataMorgana

o

The bindweed started in my garden areas but it has spread throughout my yard including the lawn. The only spots that are not overun are the areas that have the most shade and are the wettest spots in the yard. The native plants I want to use are huge. I already have a cupplant that's 10ft. tall. I've already started throwing seed in the area I want to conquer. I'm going to have to use broad leaf herbicide in the lawn. I've always been anti-herbicide but this weed must be stopped! Once the natives get growing I can use fire in those areas to help in the battle. I have read that Indian Grass forms a dense sod that might snuff it out. I am determined to win this war.

o

One way of fighting bindweed I've heard recommended is to submerge still-growing parts of the bindweed in small containers of a Glyphosate herbicide. The idea is that the herbicide will be absorbed and carried to the roots, killing the entire plant. I prefer not to use herbicides myself but with really nasty weeds sometimes I think it is the lesser evil.

o

• Posted by jaybirdy 5north/central Illin (My Page) on
    Sun, Oct 10, 10 at 12:35

I've also read that glyphsate is the only effective herbicide against bindweed.The problem with planting tall perrenials is that the bindweed can grow up them and get more sun.I pull out all the above ground growth to weeken the plants and keep them from photosynthesizing.I haven't tried glyphosate yet;but will if it continues to be a problem.Bindweed is a plant that you have to work hard at getting rid of.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Native Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here