Return to the Native Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
SE Wisconsin, identifying woodland edge plants

Posted by linnea56 z5 IL (My Page) on
Fri, Sep 23, 05 at 11:44

I'm doing a plant inventory of the semi-wooded property that belonged to my parents in SE Wisconsin. A large area went wild as they got older. I pretty much know the trees, but it's the other things growing at the edge of the woods that have me wondering. Before we clean this place up I want to make sure I know which if any are wildflowers or endangered species as opposed to invasives. There's one very pretty flower that looks much like a phlox, magenta heads. It's not just a reverted phlox: we have those too so I could compare them . The leaves are different.

Can anyone recommend sites that would cover this area, for wildflowers and then invasives?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: SE Wisconsin, identifying woodland edge plants

http://www.botany.wisc.edu/herbarium/

http://www.dnr.state.wi.us/invasives/plants.htm

Here are a couple of links to check out. The plant you mention could be Hesperis matronalis, Dame's rocket. The DNR site will have an info page on that plant.

V.

o

Thanks, Veronicastrum. Dame's Rocket it is. Darn! I didn't know it is an invasive! Though it's certainly prettier than garlic mustard.

o

This site from Missouri is excellent for identifying plants.

Here is a link that might be useful: Missouri plants

o

i like the uw herbarium site, especially because they have some of my photos there.

o

Connect with your local land trust for plant id.and volunteer opportunities. It's a great way to learn and meet the experts. If you don't know which one is on your area, check with Gathering Waters, the umbrella organization for Wisconsin land trusts. www.gatheringwaters.org

The Ozaukee Washington Land Trust has experts in plant identification and management of native systems. www.owlt.org

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Native Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here