Return to the Native Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Wildflower ID: Red stalk, large avocado type leaves

Posted by ncsteele Zone 5 Iowa (My Page) on
Thu, Sep 8, 05 at 12:06

In the wooded ravine behind my house, I have come across a wildflower that I cannot find in my field guide. It is about 3 ft tall, has a deep red stalk and ~6 inch leaves that look much like an avocado leaf. The plant flowered a few weeks ago, and now has dark purple fruit clusters much like grapes, but about the size of a pea. (I do not remember the color of the flowers)

I have a photo of the plant, but don't know how to add images to a post.

Any ideas on the ID of this plant?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Wildflower ID: Red stalk, large avocado type leaves

Sounds like American Pokeweed, Phytolacca americana.

Rootwad

o

Sounds like Phytolacca americana to me, too. A common weed in open disturbed areas; in woods I've only seen it fairly sparsely in ravines...

Patrick Alexander

o

i third that vote.

o

And I'll fourth it. It's extremely common here anywhere birds perch...because birds love the berries and the seeds go right through birds' digestive tracts. Leave the pokeweed in your yard and the birds will love you! Dozens of species of birds relish the berries. Pokeweed is also a host plant for some interesting-looking caterpillars. And personally, I think it's a rather pretty plant over all, with the little white flowers followed by dark, glossy berries, the bright red stems, the large leaves, and the umbrella-like shape it takes as it gets larger. It's really a great wildlife plant all around, but most people don't let it stay in their yards because it's poisonous and the berries provide the birds with purple "ammunition." I leave it in my yard when it comes up because it's such a great wildlife plant and attracts so many birds, but I only leave it for one year. It can get huge if you let it come back year after year, so I pull it at the end of its first year (it's extremely easy to pull, even when it gets three or four feet tall); the birds will inevitably plant more for the next year. I'm providing a link to a page about pokeweed written by The Hilton Pond Center, which has a lot of info about plants and animals found in the Piedmont region of the southeast.

Here is a link that might be useful: Pokeweed

o

That is exactly what I have. Thank you to all who responded. It was such an unusual plant with its red stalk and berries. The few that I have in my yard grow on the edge of the ravine which has western exposure.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Native Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here