Return to the Native Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Gentiana ID – please

Posted by aachenelf z5 Mpls, MN (My Page) on
Thu, Sep 7, 06 at 12:57

I grew these from seed received in a trade. The trader said they were Gentiana andrewsii, but going by the descriptions in the Peterson Wildflower Guide, I think they may be Gentiana clausa. The seed originated in NY State. Any thoughts?

Gentiana

Gentiana

Kevin

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Gentiana ID – please

sure looks like Gentiana clausa to me too.

o

Well, I don't know but they are BEAUTIFUL!

o

Gentiana clausa -- andrewsii doesn't have tucked-in tips of the petals like that. Your plants really are lovely!

o

Thank you all. Clausa it is then.

I must say, the Peterson Guide is really great at pointing out differences between similar species. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something.

K

o

• Posted by kwoods Cold z7 Long Is (My Page) on
    Fri, Sep 8, 06 at 10:47

WOW!

o

Beautiful!

o

Thanks again.

When I was a kid I spent a lot of time in the woods and fields across from my parents house. One of my most vivid memories is walking through the fields in the fall and seeing Gentiana andrewsii, fall asters and goldenrod all over the place. Now all those fields and woods are gone. Just lots and lots of houses with green lawns. Very sad.

Kevin

o

G. andrewsii & G. clausa are so close they are almost interchangeable. They are both native to NY state. They are both commonly called closed gentian.
The key for my state's flora says:
Corolla lobes shorter than the plaits = G. andrewsii
Corolla lobes longer than the plaits = G. clausa
If you like gentian the real show starts next month when Fringed Gentian blooms. The cobalt blue flowers open up and are exquisite but the plant dies after flowering.
Sam

o

Sam
Thanks. Here's what Peterson's says about andrewsii: "The deep blue petals stay closed, joined by and slightly exceeded by a fringed whitish membrane. A very similar species G. clausa, has the petal tips free of the joining membrane."

I did dissect one of the flowers and could not find the above mentioned membrane.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Native Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here