Return to the Native Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Interior Design Student with Question on Tree Planting for a Proj

Posted by katie0801 none (My Page) on
Fri, Sep 13, 13 at 13:23

Hi everyone,

I just joined today because i'm looking for some information on tree planting. I'm not sure if this is the best forum for this topic, but if you have any knowledge that could help, please leave a comment.

I am an interior design student, and i'm doing a design for a retail design experience store for a brand that makes sustainable products, where if you buy their product, they plant a tree. We have to create a store based on the new trend of the brand exerience store, a more interactive approach to retail since so many people these days can just buy online. One of my ideas was that when they make the purchase, they could somehow plant their tree in store, and be shipped out that day to its destination.

I don't know anything about this, and don't know if this would be possible. This is an actual brand that works with American Forests and Trees for the People, and I would just like to know if this would actually be possible and practical in real life, and if these companies, or another company does something like this.

I'm thinking that, to plant a tree in store, for it to be an experience it would have to start as a seed, because wouldn't a baby tree already need to be planted? You cant just unplant a baby tree and give it to a customer to plant, only to replant once again somewhere permantly...right?

Please leave your thoughts and insight!
Thanks!
Katie

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Interior Design Student with Question on Tree Planting for a

Katie-

The place to post this question is the Trees forum here on Gardenweb - the regulars there know just about everything about trees.

o

Growing trees from seeds is not always a very easy process and sure as heck is not very fast. My experience with the retail world is simply sticking a seed in a small pot of dirt is not gonna cut any ice - folks want something they can SEE, not a maybe promise of something to come.. Bare root seedlings - little baby trees often sold or sometimes given away by the local forest service or DNR - would make a much better impact. But they are not the easiest things to care for before planting, even more so for store sales associates that may not be "plant people".

Have you considered partnering with a local independent garden center where you (the store) would supply the customer with a coupon/certificate redeemable for a small potted tree at the nursery. I can think of all sorts of reasons why the nursery/garden center would appreciate being involved, not the least is free publicity, but visitors to nurseries seldom leave with just the "free" plant they came for. Get 'em on site and no telling how much they could spend :-))

Another alternative is that the store customer's patronage goes to support some sort of reforestation or a native area or public tree planting operation like in a park or cemetery or boulevard planting, etc. This could be done as some sort of 'sustainability' celebration or public gathering, maybe even with name tags so customers would know exactly where "their" tree was planted.

o

Not a very efficient way to do it...You have to ship a tree in a pot from wherever the store is to wherever the land you are trying to reforest is.

If the purpose is to make them feel an active part of the process, what about having them fill out a form choosing what kind of tree they want to have planted, or having them use skype to see the tree get planted?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Native Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here