Return to the Native Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Native Flowers for Erosion Control

Posted by edlincoln Massachusetts 6a (My Page) on
Sat, Sep 29, 12 at 14:02

I'm looking for Native Plants that can be planted on a cliff/bank. The area has acidic sandy & salty soil with patches of clay and gravel.

Ideally I want Native plants that have flowers for decoration and fruit for wildlife. Ideally it should fight erosion. Ideally It should be Native.

It's for a relative, so I wouldn't be there to regularly water it.

Someone suggested Red Chokeberry, but that has a weedy reputation in my area.

Beach Pea has been suggested, but it seems hard to find.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Native Flowers for Erosion Control

I would think that anything that suckers or tip-roots would be good, which would give you Cornus sericea (red osier dogwood), some of the viburnums, Running serviceberry, elderberry, clethra, itea - I know there are more, but those came right to mind. Even though they have no flowers per se, the native willows are excellent for erosion control, and have their own beauty (and are quite popular for larval food for many butterflies) - some have showy catkins early in the year.

I don't know how any of these would do in your soil - I'd recommend looking around the area and see what's doing well there already, or be sure to get species that are native to your particular area - the USDA Plants database can help with that.

o

Thanks!

Elderberry is a good suggestion...I'd been thinking of that. Hadn't thought of service berry.

What can survive in salty sandy soil and gravel is the big limitation.

As or what grows there now...most Eastern Red ceder, beach roses (possibly rugosa rose, not sure), grass, and poison ivy.

o

Maybe try partridge pea? I always see it in low quality gravelly locations, it can take a lot. It fixes nitrogen and is not bad looking, too.

o

As miserable as poison ivy is for us humans, it is highly valued by wildlife as a food source. And it is tough as nails as a ground cover. Unless there will be predictable human traffic through the area, I'd vote for keeping the PI.

Martha

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Native Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here