Return to the Native Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Clethra leaves turning brown

Posted by mistascott 7a/VA (My Page) on
Wed, Sep 7, 11 at 14:34

I planted a Ruby Spice Clethra this past spring. It leafed out and bloomed nicely this summer but now I am noticing that about 75% of the leaves are browning from the tips. This does not appear to be a normal fall leaf color change as I understand these turn yellow, not brown, in fall and our leaves are several weeks away from changing.

It gets part sun and a lot of water. It has received some general purpose granular fertilizer every month or so. I have not noticed any bugs on it other than bees and wasps.

Any ideas?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Clethra leaves turning brown

Not sure exactly where you live, but I am in Hampton. The hurricane damaged a lot of plants when it went through, leaving the branches in tact but with browning leaves. I'm hoping that the leaves were just damaged by the winds, although it also flooded here and salt might be to blame. A number of my perennials have wilted, I assume from the salt. One of my river birch saplings has dead leaves now over the entire top 2/3, but the bottom leaves are fine. The twigs with the dead leaves are also OK, except for the very tip which was still growing. Hopefully it will leaf out normally next year. I'll have to wait and see.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Native Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here