Return to the Native Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help ID vine

Posted by gabrielle_la LA (My Page) on
Mon, Sep 4, 06 at 14:58

I found a red flowering vine growing in our field in S. LA. It is blooming now in early Sept and is full of red trumpet type flowers about 1 - 11/2 inches long and 1/8 inch in diameter. It was full of butterflies. The leaves look similar to a maple leaf. We are trying to naturalize an area that has been in cane production for years.
Please help me identify this.Thanks! Gabrielle

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help ID vine

I don't know, but google images for trumpet vine, campsis, honeysuckle, bignonia.

o

Thanks so much for responding. I checked out the photos, but it does not seem to be any of those. I will try to add a photo of what I brought home.

Here is a link that might be useful: Unknown vine

o

This is the Small Red Morning Glory, or Redstar - Ipomoea coccinea. (There is also another red-flowered morning glory that is very similar, and I forget the scientific name. The two species have slightly different leaves. I think I. coccinea is the expected speices in LA). This vine can be common in agricultural fields, especially soybean fields, and is native to South America. It is a real favorite of hummingbirds, and I grow it for that reason. It is easy to grow from seed in a sunny spot, and does best with something to climb that it can twine around, such as a chain link fence, shrub, or strings. It is an annual that will die in the fall. Before that happens it should set lots of seeds, which can be scattered on the ground where you want new plants next year.

o

Thanks so much Ladyslppr! I saw the purple morning glory around the edges of the property this morning. This is the only plant like this that I saw. It is great to have a name for it now.
Thank You! Gabrielle

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Native Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here