Return to the Native Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Mimosa seed

Posted by heartsy z8 LA (My Page) on
Wed, Sep 19, 07 at 15:03

I have planted some Mimosa seed that were taken from a tree that was growing in the wild. All the seeds came up, there were eight of them. They are now about 1-2 inches tall and look healthy. I have them in 1 gallon pots, two in each pot. Can someone tell me if I should fertilize them or just let them grow as is? Should I spray them for insects?I used potting soil without adding anything at all to the soil. I really want them to grow and don't want to hinder their growth at all. I don't want to get too aggresive and do things that I should not do to them. Does Mimosa roots grow deep or spread out. I live in South Louisiana. All the Mimosa trees here died a good many years ago from a disease, they are just now coming back. Thanks for your help.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Mimosa seed

Hi heartsy,

Do you know that Mimosa, If I'm correct-that you mean Albizia julibrissin, is not native to the U. S., but Japan, and is currently on our invasive lists? You may want to consider putting your creative energy into a different seed starting project.

Here is a link that might be useful: Albizia julibrissin

o
Mimosa seed

I previously posted the 'Alba' cultivar, the straight species is the same scenario

Here is a link that might be useful: Mimosa

o

I see that both of you are in zones warmer than mine, and I am sure that you meant that Albizia Julibrissin is listed in your particular locales. In cooler zones like 5, where I live, they are not invasive. The seedlings can't survive the winter in 5 and north. They are somewhat of a curiosity in West Michigan, and I would HIGHLY suggest them for anyone that lives in an area where they aren't listed as invasive. I just wanted anyone considering these wonderful trees to know that they aren't pests everywhere.

o

outnproud, I think anyone that does enough research on what they choose to plant should be able to figure that out. And people should do research on their choices - it is easy enough, for one thing, to Google the plant name, the word invasive and the name of the state - for example "Georgia mimosa tree invasive". Read through some of the links returned for your search and make your decision (some of the links can be misleading as they might be saying it is not invasive, so you have to read the links).

Obviously the point of paula's response was that this is a native forum and the original post was about a non-native (and invasive in the original poster's location) plant.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Native Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here