Return to the Native Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
No odor in Illicium floridanum?

Posted by canishel z7 TN (My Page) on
Thu, Sep 16, 10 at 16:29

I have one established and two new (still in pots) I. floridanum. They were bought from different sources and at different times.
None of the flowers have an offensive odor. Why not? It's an important question because I want to plant the new ones next to the house. Does the amount of sun, fertilizer, temp, anything affect the presence of the odor that is reported?

Should I cross-post this question on another forum?
Thanks for any help.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: No odor in Illicium floridanum?

They don't have a bad odor it's more like a mild anise odor I have two plants

o

Lucky! They can be very stinky, according to my sense of smell.

o

Good question. The leaves of Illicium floridatum have an appealling anise scent to most noses, except deer, hurray! The maroon flowers, however, have a divided consensus. I use it, when in bloom on garden walks, as an illustration of how scent can be quite subjective. I ask participants to smell the flower, and weigh in on it's appeal. It is unfailingly about half and half with people who find it attractive vs "Yeccchhhh!".

I find it attractive, kind of salty and citrusy, "like the beach", and others concur. The other half, including Dr. Dirr, find it stinky like wet dogs or old socks.

I'd guess you'd have to find which half you're in to determine where to plant it. Beyond that, it's an incredibly useful plant for evergreen shady screening, and should be used more.

o

Thanks to all of you.
I can smell the anise leaves and like it. The flowers have almost no odor.
I went ahead and planted them at a corner next to the house. We'll see what happens.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Native Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here