Return to the Native Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Butterfly Weed

Posted by gamekeeper (My Page) on
Sat, Sep 22, 07 at 17:21

Being a ham and egg gardner I don't know the proper name but we have a few plants I put in this year and tghey have done well.The past week or two I've noticed one plant has a group of pods that are covered with a yellow matter that looks to be eggs,does anyone know what this is ?
Thanks,
Peter

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Butterfly Weed

I am too new to be able to help much but just wanted to say that I had a huge patch of yellow/orangey "eggs" on my butterfly weed that turned out to have legs! After posting on the butterfly forum another poster steered me to a great link with pics of my "eggs"----aphids! So you might find your answer if you check out the Butterfly forum.

o

There is a specific aphid that is found on milkweed including butterfly milkweed. This late in the season they won't cause permanent damage to the plant. They can be rinsed off with a spray of water and you don't want them on young plants next spring.

Here is a link that might be useful: Milkweed Aphid

o

They are gone!

o

they are a never-ending problem. i have two native milkweeds (A. incarnata) and they are constantly on them.

o

Yet another way to attract ladybugs!

o

Aphis Nerii will occur on all Asclepias plants (milkweeds). You can get them off using a strong shower of water to rinse them off, and keep their numbers down.

o

I had orange and black bugs on mine and they were always clumped together. I think they were eating my seedpods, which i was wanting to start more butterfly weed in the spring with. Does anything eat these bugs? They were really freaky looking. I always thumped them off but they always came back.
Bonnie

o

This may seem like a "duh" question but when the Milkweed, which I put into my new Butterfly Garden, needs a hard stream of water to get rid of their specific aphid is it just part of natural gardening that leaves of other plants that you shouldn't spray water on to keep down powdery mildew are going to get showered? The tickseed is pretty close to Milkweeds although I got what is supposedly a mildew "resistant" strain although they may turn out to be as "resistant" as the deer "resistant" natives the deer chomped on.

o

bonnieblueyes, those are milkweed bugs. See link below.

newbie in nj, you don't need to get rid of aphids, it is just that most gardeners like a neater looking garden. In a world with less pesticides there would be more natural predators to keep them in check.

Not sure about your powdery mildew question. Sorry about the deer though, I've heard the deer are pretty hungry in NJ. If that continues, you could pursue fencing to keep them at bay.

Here is a link that might be useful: Milkweed bugs

o

Thanks Esh ga, thats exactly what the bugs looked like. I only have a few plants and i wanted the seed so i was hoping there was a predator to this bug but apparently they taste really bad. Thanks so much for the info. They are really cool looking with bright orange and black colors. I had never seen them before.
Bonnie

o

I've read that garlic and cayenne pepper spray will help knock them out. I havent tried it on mine, which are covered head to toe in aphids, but at least its an organic approach.

o

One thing to keep in mind is that anything you do to knock the aphids might also knock the caterpillars off, so do be careful.

I usually just let the aphids be, unless I think their numbers are too great and they will outcompete the caterpillars. Then I may carefully wipe them off with a paper towel.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Native Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here