Return to the Native Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Tip for growing Helianthus maximilliani

Posted by dandy_line Mn-Z4a (My Page) on
Sun, Sep 10, 06 at 18:04

I am posting this following tip I discovered by accident for Helianthus maximilliani. These plants get huge in rich soil and will flop over once they start flowering. Not a pretty sight. Cutting these plants way back-and late in the season will force them to begin flowering when the stems are only 3 feet high. They make for a very nice clump of yellow this way. I discovered this by accident when the county mower cut down some plants I had put in the public boulevard. They were cut down around the 1st of August. This resulted in the very nice display of short flowering stems in September.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Tip for growing Helianthus maximilliani

Great tip!

o

• Posted by pam_aa z5 Berwyn Il. (My Page) on
    Wed, Sep 20, 06 at 14:51

Great idea for alot of the giants!

o

Yes-in a way it's like doing what the Buffalo did for 10,000 years-cut them down to ground level. The plant had to combat this by sending up flower stalks in a very short time. It makes sense to cut all large prairie plants down in mid summer.

o

Depends on what plant, I think. Many (or most)of them will recover, and bloom on shorter, bushier plants. Some of them will not. I've heard this works well on Joe Pye Weed cut back in June. Great tip!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Native Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here