Return to the Native Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What kind of wild grape is this?

Posted by jdreinstein Oklahoma (6) (My Page) on
Wed, Sep 15, 10 at 18:08

I was walking with my family when I saw some purplish black globes hanging from a chain link fence off of the road. On closer examination, they had some remaining green spots on then (perfectly round spots), and I noticed many green unripe ones with white spots as well. It looks like they go straight green to black, no red or purple in between.

When squeezing the ripe berries, the skin slips off and reveals a translucent-green juicy grape-like pulp containing 4-8 small, flat, round-triangular seeds. Not knowing if it was poison or not, I tasted a small amount, and it was very sweet and VERY grape-like in flavor, texture, and smell.

The leaves are three points joined with deep clefts like many other vitis species, but not completely cleaved - semi maple shaped, but not the maple leaf grape (I checked).

The color was a very light almost lime green, completely glabrous (no hair) on the top and bottom of leaves, the vine was very small and not woody (it may just be young, but has borne fruit this year and was still ripening some).

The berries hung as individuals on a longish stem, not in bunches. They are about the size of a gooseberry or smallish cherry. In fact, upon first seeing the green ones, I thought I had stumbled upon a wild goosberry stand, until I noted that they were on a vine.

I would like to know if this is edible and not poisinous, because I already know it is delicious, and will start many seedlings for my yard fence (and for you guys, if you want).

I have looked at every grape and grape-like species online I can find, and I cannot identify it. None of the grape berries I find hang individually, or have the characteristic speckles found on every berry on this vine!

Any help appreciated!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What kind of wild grape is this?

Could it be Porceline Vine?

Here is a link that might be useful: Porceline Vine

o
Peppervine

Or maybe Ampelopsis arborea although I read those have poor flavor so that might not be it either.

Here is a link that might be useful: Ampelopsis arborea - Google images

o

Pictures? One picture says a 1,000 words...

FataMorgana

o
More Info - Pics Coming

I stopped by on a walk again, and was lucky enough to find a small berry with flower still attached - the flower is small (about 2-3 cm) and yellow, this was somewhat wilted so cannot determine shape, but small and yellow - one per berry.

It is not Ampelopsis or Porceline Vine.

Here is one point that may lead us in the right direction - the berries are NEVER pinkish, reddish, etc. They go DIRECT from light green with white speckles (looking almost like a gooseberry, but less translucent and without any lining) - then they are blue-purple-black. The inside pulp maintains a light green to translucent - the seeds themselves are contained within a small sac of juice.

Also, they do not hang in bunches - they hang individually, linearly along the vine. And it is a young, new vine with no wooding or lignification of any sort.

Let me know any more guesses! I'm working on pics at photobucket now.

o

Could it be a muscadine or scuppernong? I just moved to the South 2 years ago and these grapes grow wild here. I consider them to be a weed. They are large very round and the green ones are translucent the black ones are round also. They are exceptionally sweet with a slight wild aftertaste.

o

It more looks like it is wild grape, that grows in Europe

Here is a link that might be useful: Flower Names

o

Not possum grapes?

Here is a link that might be useful: possum grapes

o

vitis riparia?

o

Hi all. New in this forum. I've been following this discussion with much interest as it seems to me that wild grape has exploded here in N.E. Wisconsin. To be sure, it's been present forever, but in recent years, I'm just seeing more and more of this stuff, and it's very disturbing as it seems to preferentially be climbing up into my favorite trees...........conifers. It is not at all unusual to see vast amounts of otherwise nice spruce, cedar, and pine utterly grown over with this vine. And it does eventually do the trees in, simply by shading them out.

So I ask, has anybody else noticed what seems like an increase in the presence of wild grape in your area woodlands....especially along roadsides?

+oM

o

do what i do, take out your pocket knife or a hatchet and cut the vines off at the base of the tree, pull as much off as you can and when it starts to come back baste it with round up on a paintbrush

o

Thanks tlowery, but I wasn't asking about how to deal with it. Of course I cut it.

I am wondering specifically if others are seeing an increas in their areas.

+oM

o

http://www.google.ca/search?aq=f&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8&q=wild+vine+book
http://books.google.ca/books?id=Ec3-XRXDqMYC&pg=PA53&dq=wild+vine+book&hl=en&ei=fEk-TbLXLoT48AaNn7H-Cg&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=2&ved=0CDUQ6AEwAQ#v=onepage&q=wild vine book&f=false
Here's an interesting book about American grape(s)

Here is a link that might be useful: wild vine

o

What you are describing is muscadine grape.

They are used in the southeast in viniculture.

Makes a very sweet dessert wine, and can grow in salty soils.

Matt

Here is a link that might be useful: Wiki: Muscadine grape

o

It appears to be that way in So N.H.see alot of folks putting them to use picking the leaves to stuff

o

Are you sure its not moonseed? The leaves look much like grape and the vines are as you described.

o

I have found same fruit here in southeast oklahoma, exactly as you describe. Would like to know of it is edible. Have pictures, don't know if I can post them here. will send to email.

o

Yellow flower, single berries that change from green to black, "semi maple shaped" leaves, growing in Oklahoma..... does it look like this? If so, it's not a grape, but creeping cucumber (melothria pendula). Edible before they turn black.... and apparently may become a potent laxative afterwards.

Here is a link that might be useful: Creeping Cucumber on 'Eat the Weeds'

This post was edited by bostedo on Thu, Oct 3, 13 at 12:47

o

That's it. Thanks.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Native Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here