SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jdreinstein

What kind of wild grape is this?

jdreinstein
13 years ago

I was walking with my family when I saw some purplish black globes hanging from a chain link fence off of the road. On closer examination, they had some remaining green spots on then (perfectly round spots), and I noticed many green unripe ones with white spots as well. It looks like they go straight green to black, no red or purple in between.

When squeezing the ripe berries, the skin slips off and reveals a translucent-green juicy grape-like pulp containing 4-8 small, flat, round-triangular seeds. Not knowing if it was poison or not, I tasted a small amount, and it was very sweet and VERY grape-like in flavor, texture, and smell.

The leaves are three points joined with deep clefts like many other vitis species, but not completely cleaved - semi maple shaped, but not the maple leaf grape (I checked).

The color was a very light almost lime green, completely glabrous (no hair) on the top and bottom of leaves, the vine was very small and not woody (it may just be young, but has borne fruit this year and was still ripening some).

The berries hung as individuals on a longish stem, not in bunches. They are about the size of a gooseberry or smallish cherry. In fact, upon first seeing the green ones, I thought I had stumbled upon a wild goosberry stand, until I noted that they were on a vine.

I would like to know if this is edible and not poisinous, because I already know it is delicious, and will start many seedlings for my yard fence (and for you guys, if you want).

I have looked at every grape and grape-like species online I can find, and I cannot identify it. None of the grape berries I find hang individually, or have the characteristic speckles found on every berry on this vine!

Any help appreciated!

Comments (18)

Sponsored