SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
midwesternerr

Ideas to help native plant species

midwesternerr
15 years ago

I've been participating in some activities that I think are helpful to native plant species. I'd like to share these with the group, and receive feelback on other ideas as well.

-Honeysuckle removal: I see a marked decrease in the diversity of animals & plants found in forest near me when they've become overrun by honeysuckle bushes. Around this time of year there are a lot of opportunities to help remove these and other invasives from public land.

-Park Monitor: Loose dogs, bikers, horses, I've even seen 4 wheelers riding through a public park! Becoming a park monitor of a public land one frequents is a good way to help curb these kinds of problems.

-Create a native plant display garden at work, church, school, or other buildings one has ties to. I've been surprised at how open many places I visit have been to this idea.

-Join a native plant club like Wildones, or encourage native plantings in a "traditional" garden club. I know wildones in my area is quite active. Audubon & other wildlife organizations often are involved with such activities as well.

-Conservation departments often need help plantings trees & shrubs at parks and reserves.

-Call your local department of transportation and encourage them to create native plantings along roadsides to beautify roadsides & reduce their long term costs.

-Talk to local science teachers about taking a fieldtrip to a local woods or prairie, or offer to give them handouts for any conservation department of environmental organization programs aimed at younger folks. The more exposure they get to nature, the better the outlook of native ecosystems remaining intract IMO.

-Think about and discuss power heirarchies and conformity in our society. What can be done to break conformity and end the punishment taxed onto independent thinking?

I think as long as the education about the benefits of native plants continues, the preaching and oppression of native plant practitioners will eventually be reduced.

Comments (3)

Sponsored
Schlabach Woodworks
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars16 Reviews
Franklin County's Reclaimed Wood Professionals