Return to the Native Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Prettiest Native Sunflower

Posted by kelp 6 (My Page) on
Fri, Sep 20, 13 at 20:07

Which is the prettiest native sunflower? Tall is good. I live in southeastern MA, but it doesn't have to be native to the northeast, only be able to grow there. I saw a couple in High Country Gardens that I thought were pretty, (esp. Helianthus 'Dakota Sunshine'), but they say on their website that this area gets too much rain for that cultivar. I have clay soil, but can amend it with compost or sand if necessary. Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Prettiest Native Sunflower

My personal favorite is Helianthus mollis.

o

Helianthus atrorubens.

o

Maximilian sunflower (helianthus maximiliani) should grow in your area. A bit different than others in the way it flowers up the stem. Said to get up to 10 ft, but seems to stay in the 4 to 6 ft range in our area (north TX) and does well in clay. May need support depending upon location.

Here is a link that might be useful: Native sunflowers with MA distributions

This post was edited by bostedo on Sun, Sep 29, 13 at 21:31

o

I like sawtooth sunflower-Helianthus grosseserratus- for a good, vigorous native sunflower. Truth is, it may be too vigorous in some settings. But a large expanse of this plant in bloom-like right now here in WI-is a sight to behold.

But your question is one of taste. I don't know what you like, so this is just one possibility.

+oM

o

H. paucifolia-stays small and doesn't colonize your garden and all the neighborhood around you, like some others we know.

A good way to keep the tall ones in check is to pretend you are buffalo and chop them down a couple times in the summer. By fall the 8 footers will flower about knee high.

Here is a link that might be useful: paucifolia

o

Hi dandy line. I like H. pauciflorus-stiff sunflower-too, but it is also rhizomatous, and therefor capable of spreading clonally, and rapidly. It would be a better choice than grosseseratus for dry, upland sites, being better adapted to dry conditions.

+oM

o

I planted Helianthus argphyllus aka Silver Leaf Sunflower this spring. Its pretty. I only planted one to try it out but I'm going to save seeds. It is just now starting to make buds and its foliage is very pretty and fuzzy. I pulled this photo off google.

I look forward to seeing the Maximillians each fall on the roadsides but I don't have space for them. Its enough to enjoy seeing them in the wild by the hundreds.

o

Maximillian

This post was edited by NKUSigEp on Sat, Sep 28, 13 at 22:49

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Native Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here