Return to the Native Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Euphorbia dentata / poinsettia dentata/ toothed spurge

Posted by genie_wilde 10 (My Page) on
Tue, Sep 4, 07 at 20:45

I've 'inherited' a new wildflower/weed in my flower bed this summer. I finally got it identified as "euphorbia dentata" (sometimes known as "poinsettia dentata") or "toothed spurge." It's an annual, native to N. America and seems to have no problem growing in Portland, Oregon, where I live.

I find it quite ornate, with its rather complex geometric patterns of leaves and its clusters of small, light green 'berries' (buds). I'm wondering it it would make a good houseplant or controllable garden plant like its cousin the poinsettia.

Some drawings, pics, and links to more info are in this thread.

And more pics and scientific info can be found here.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Euphorbia dentata / poinsettia dentata/ toothed spurge

The only places I've seen it growing are in full sun, so I suspect its potential as a houseplant is pretty limited. Unlike the poinsettia, this is an annual and it would have to come up from seed every year. Its hard to predict how weedy it might become in Portland. If it doesn't seed well on its own, you could always collect seed in the fall and plant them where you want them every spring.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Native Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here