Return to the Native Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Difference between Sumac and Ailanthus seedlings

Posted by lisanorah 6/7 MD (My Page) on
Fri, Sep 22, 06 at 20:50

Hello. I absolutely LOVE most varieties of Sumac - staghorn, smooth whatever. So I hate to pull young seedlings thinking they're the dreaded Tree of Heaven. I've searched this site but can find no real answers to help me distinguish between the two. I know that some Sumac turns red in Fall (in MD) but other than - what else?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Difference between Sumac and Ailanthus seedlings

Here is a link to an article that I came across that might help: http://www.themondaygarden.com/archives/2005/01/ailanthus_and_s.html
You can also try pulling off a leaf and smelling it. Ailanthus smells horrible.

o

Ailanthus smells bad. break a leaf or twig from a large Ailanthus, learn the smell, then do the same to small ones until you figure out how to tell the difference. i am sure there is a way to tell visually, but it probably has to be learned, can't easily be described.

o

The link didn't work for me. Has it been moved? Nancy

o

Tree of heaven also has glands on the very back leaves that form notches...if you compaire your young leaf to a known sumac, if its a tree of haven it will have two distinct indents where the leaf starts to broaden after leaving the stem. Or you can bruse it, and if it smells like rotten peanuts then you know you have TOH.
Peace,
Nate

o

You are right. Access to that article cannot be had at the moment.
Here is what the PCA Alient Plant Working Group says:

NOTE: Correct identification of ailanthus is essential. Several native shrubs, like sumacs, and trees, like ash, black walnut and pecan, can be confused with ailanthus. Staghorn sumac (Rhus typhina), native to the eastern U.S., is distinguished from ailanthus by its fuzzy, reddish-brown branches and leaf stems, erect, red, fuzzy fruits, and leaflets with toothed margins.

o

http://www.themondaygarden.org/archives/2005/01/ailanthus_and_staghorn_sumac.html

That looks like the article that was relocated. I am also having trouble differentiating black walnut from tree of heaven. I guess I will just have them both taken out (there are two) because whatever they are, they are invasive and terrible.

o

The bark on black walnut should be noticeably different from tree of heaven. Tree of heaven has rather smooth bark, the walnut should be more furrowed.

Also that little "notch" on one side of the tree of heaven leaf is distinctive. Link below. Here is another link showing the notch.

Here is a link that might be useful: Leaf notch

o

Tree of heaven has a very smooth edge to the leaflet. It also has a notch at the base of eack leaflet. Black walnut has a serated edge to the leaves that are about like a butter knife. Sumac also has smooth margins on the leaflets but does not have the single ear or notch at the base. I have found the best way to kill the TOF is to drill holes in the wood slanting downward and fill them with weed killer. Do this every week for a month and it's a goner. Cut them live and you will have ten instead of one.
If you are still having trouble try this site it is great for identification, easy to use and lots of pictures!
http://www.oplin.org/tree/index.html

o

good post!

o

I agree, the notch at the base of the leaf and if you've ever been lucky enough to clear a field of trees of heaven you will NEVER EVER eat peanut butter again!!!!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Native Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here