Return to the Native Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Need help finding the perfect native

Posted by kesflower 6 - VA (My Page) on
Mon, Sep 3, 12 at 20:54

We're finally putting some foundation plantings in the front of our house (the previous owners had grass right up to the siding) and we're 99% sure we're gonna use blueberries in part of the bed, so the soil will be pretty acid. I'm looking for a shrub/evergreen/native SOMETHING to go on the corner, preferably 6-8 feet tall and 4-5 feet wide (4 feet is the width of the bed and we'd like not too much encroaching into the yard). I LOVE the look of mountain laurel, but have no idea what cultivar to use. Is this even the forum to ask this question? We definitely want something native to the east coast and something that will not require too much pruning/training to reach that 6-8' x 4-5' shape (I've got enough garden maintenance with the blueberries and some roses that we have elsewhere on the property)

Thanks for any suggestions!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Need help finding the perfect native

Mountain laurels prefer slightly alkaline soil and they love limestone. Good news is once they're established they're very hard to kill.

o

Aaaand that wasn't what you asked >__< Sorry!

o

Perhaps one of the native Azaleas?

Here is a link that might be useful: Native Azaleas

o

There are so many mountain laurel cultivars - in all sizes!

Here is a link that might be useful: Some choices

o

Oak leaf hydrangeas are a lot easier to nurture than mountain laurels, in my opinion. Beautiful plant. Very easy to grow.

o

Carolina rhododendron! They are really nice - The leaves turn burgundy with the return of cool weather. They are a parent of the common PJM rhododendron - Not terribly hard to grow.

Mountain laurel requires strongly acidic, well-drained soils, by the way. NOT a lime-lover.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Native Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here