Return to the Native Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
perssimons

Posted by fiddlrs3 NE Illinois (My Page) on
Wed, Sep 11, 13 at 20:58

I have 4 perssimons planted and growing; one is about 25', one about 10', the others are a 4-5 years old, but still very small. The larger ones I planted at least 10 years ago, and no fruit on any. Am I too impatient? I also have several suckers springing up, but if the problem is that they are all the same sex, they will be the same, too, right?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: perssimons

Did any of them bloom?
Yes suckers are clones so they would be the same sex as the original plant.

o
RE: perssimons

The trees being the same sex would explain the problem. A lack of bees in your area would explain the problem as well. Yes, suckers would be the same sex.

You could try buying and older sapling of known sex. You could rent a bee hive, or try to pollinate by hand with a brush.

Where did you get them? I've been looking for a good source.

This post was edited by edlincoln on Thu, Sep 12, 13 at 23:51

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Native Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here