Return to the Native Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Pruning Viburnum

Posted by rubypa 6b 7a PA (My Page) on
Tue, Sep 5, 06 at 21:16

My three Viburnum Winterthur shrubs have grown extensively since last Spring. I'm looking for advice about trimming them but still hope for blooms next Spring. The berries are nearly gone already from the birds! Thanks in advance!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Pruning Viburnum

According to the linked website, limited fall pruning is appropriate, according to your goals for the plants. But it sounds like 'Winterthur' is not expected to get real large (to 6 ft), so little pruning may be needed.

I don't grow V. nudum, but I have two other species. I prune my slow-growing black haw lightly, because it naturally develops the nice horizontal branching I like. I do pretty harsh basal pruning of tall stems of my fast-growing arrow-woods (about one-third of stems per year) to encourage new basal shoots, which helps it maintain a more upright vase shape. I don't know if either of these strategies are appropriate for your shrubs.

Here is a link that might be useful: viburnum nudum 'Winterthur'

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Native Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here