SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
candogal_gw

Forest regeneration question

candogal
9 years ago

Wisconsitom, I've seen you talking about forest regeneration on other threads. I'm wondering where I can learn how to properly manage (or leave alone) our little one acre woodland? We bought our house 15 years ago, and went about raising kids, being busy, and gardening in the little bit of sunny area in front. We live in New Hampshire and have a mix of northern hardwoods and pines (sorry, I don't know what kind of pines). The woods come up to the house in back & on the sides. Since we both love the woods, we have let them be. Our neighbor to one side agrees with us, and beyond her is a 100 acre nature preserve owned by the town. The guy in back has acres and acres, and the part next to us is all woods. It's small town New Hampshire, after all. We've got a lot of woods.

I've been dreaming of a native woodland garden for years, and am finally working toward that. We've also come to the realization that we have to cut some trees or at least limbs, because they are touching the house in a few places now, or are about to. My reading so far has been mostly about shrubs and wildflowers, and I find myself feeling like I have a lot to learn about my native trees, and definitely about the forest ecosystem as a whole. Any suggestions of where to start learning? I especially need to figure out how to manage the trees/forest right near the house. Much as I love letting my woods be, I'd like to keep the house, too.

Comments (2)

Sponsored