Return to the Native Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Phlox pilosa

Posted by christie_sw_mo Z6 (My Page) on
Thu, Sep 9, 10 at 23:16

I'm wanting to find info and sources for phlox pilosa seeds. Has anyone grown it from seed?
Prairie Moon Nursery has it but their description says "There is wide variety in flower color on Prairie Phlox, from nearly white to shades of light and dark purple and pink"

Do some subspecies of p. pilosa bloom longer than others? Are some more fragrant? Do some attract butterflies better than others?
If I get seeds from a northern or eastern subspecies, will it still tolerate our hot dry summers here in southwest Missouri?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Phlox pilosa

Try the Missouri Wildflowers Nursery. I didn't check to see if they have it, but they sure have a good selection of Missouri Wildflowers. Their plants are great. http://www.mowildflowers.net/plants/plants.html

Here is a link that might be useful: Missouri Wildflowers Nursery

o

Thank you Mosswitch - I looked at their website and they have plants but not seed. I'll keep them in mind though. I think that's one of the places that sells plants at the Native Symposium that is held every year at the Nature Center in Springfield. I noticed you're from SW Missouri too. Did you know Gardenweb has a forum for Gardening in the Ozarks?

o

I haven't grown this species but have seen it growing wild. It grows in really dry, sandy soil along Lake Michigan in Northern IL/Southeast WI. There the usual color is pink and I never noticed that they were fragrant but perhaps they are. Some good complementary plants are Lupinus perennis, Liatris aspera, and Tradescantia ohiensis which all bloom around the same time.

o

Christie that is the same nursery. I found them at Buffalo Days at Prairie State Park a few years ago, and have been ordering from them since. And yes, I found the Gardening in the Ozarks forum recently, thank you.

Sandy

o

Sandy - I'd never heard of Prairie State Park and looked up some info on it online. That would be a nice place to visit and not too far away for us.
Thank you Lycopus - That makes me wonder if they're picky about drainage. Everwilde Farms has a distribution map for phlox pilosa and it shows that it grows pretty far south so I should be able to grow it here I assume. Everwilde has seeds but they're in northern Wisconsin. I wonder if I need to look for a more southern source.

Here is a link that might be useful: Everwilde Farms - phlox pilosa

o

I was reading about this species recently and want to grow it - sounds like it has greater drought tolerance than most Phloxes. I love the color variation shown on the Prairie Moon website, but especially the lavender and light pink. Got to buy that this coming year and hope that all the seedlings aren't the usual pink color.

o

Hi Christie,

I googled into The Prairie Flower nursery in northwest Iowa that has seeds. Is that too far away to interest you? However theirs have the same color range as Prairie Moon whereas it sounds like you might prefer solid pink, & Everwilde gives a lot more seeds per package.

Question: I've found a dealer in my state who is tempting me with plants (which I prefer). However I'm concerned that P. pilosa will need more water than the echinacea purpurea that it would have to be planted close to & I'd kill my coneflowers with water. For prairie phlox Everwilde says "Soil Moisture: Medium to Dry" & lycopus talks about seeing it in dry, sandy soil. But there are so many different degrees of dry. Can you, or anyone else, tell me if native prairie phlox & native coneflower can be grown together? Would phlox be finishing its bloom just as coneflower flowers? Thanks so much!

Here are links that might be useful:
Prairie Flower nursery
Dealer in my state who's tempting me

o

They both grow in moist to dry soil, sun to light shade, open woods, average soil. I see no reason why they should not be grown together.

o

Thanks so much, mosswitch. I appreciate your help.

o

I started some seeds from Prairie Moon in late winter and have little seedlings to plant out this month. I had been looking for this species for a long time, mainly because of its drought tolerance, so am excitedly looking forward to seeing my plants bloom next year.

o

I just noticed your reply Ontnative. Was it easy to start from seed?
I'm still undecided on where to order seeds from if anyone has come across other sources.

o

I grow this in Central Texas. It is a thriver and a spreader. Mine is lavender and I never water it. It does need a bit of afternoon shade down here, but other than that, I do not expend any energy caring for it. We are very dry down here and it doesn't care.

o

Alplains has it.

Phlox pilosa ssp. riparia (8x20,Z7,P,L,3:8w) ..... 15 seeds / $5.00

70594.17 (W) Kerr Co., TX, 2200ft, 671m. The dwarfest among the Phlox pilosa clan. Bright, deep-pink flowers over hairy, glandular foliage. Photo

They are in Colorado. I haven't ordered from them yet but am about to.

Here is a link that might be useful: Alplains

o

15 seeds for $5!! highway robbery. But then it grows wild in my garden and comes up all over the place. High Country Garden carries plants of it.

o

christie_sw_mo
I wintersowed my phlox pilosa seeds (from Prairie Moon) and they were fairly easy to grow. So far I've only ordered from PM once, but found them to be really efficient and pleasant to deal with. I would order from them again. I had been looking for Prairie Phlox seeds/plants for several years, mainly due to their drought tolerance, and the fact that they were recommended by many native gardening books/articles. They are not native to my specific area, but are closely related to our native Phlox Divaricata (woodland phlox), which I have been growing for some years.

o

Christie, are you still around? Did you see dandy_line's post with 50 phlox pilosa seeds to trade? Don't know if still available but could be.

Here's a link that might be helpful: Looking for wildflower seed trades

o

I'm still around. : ) I'd already gotten seeds (from Everwilde) when I saw them on Dandy_line's list. I have to admit I was tempted to ask for them anyway. If I didn't have so much to plant already this spring, I'd try both and compare. I think it would be interesting to plant seeds from different sources on this one.

Alplains says their variety is short and I think I'd rather have a taller variety. Butterflies tend to go to taller plants and they would show up better for me. $5 for fifteen seeds is expensive but still cheaper than buying plants so you shouldn't feel guilty for paying that if it's what you want Hemnancy. Sounds like it's a selected variety and may be worth it.

Wantonamara and Ontnative - Thanks for your replies. It's helpful to know that p. pilosa is drought tolerant. I will try planting it in different spots to see where it's happiest. It might like being in reach of some greedy shrub or tree roots.

I LOVE phlox divaricata. Not many plants survive in my dry shade but that one does. Mine has reseeded a bit and some are more fragrant than others. My original plant came from a trader so I don't know if it was from a cultivar or just a native plant.

o

Christie- I'm curious, how did you do with growing the seeds you had ordered? Did they grow, and were you able to get any flowers yet? I'm thinking of ordering some this year.

Nancy

o

Hi Nancy - I got low germination, although likely because of my own neglect. I think I ended up transplanting three or four into my flower bed and may have had one still alive by the end of the season. We had a horribly hot dry summer and I had a tough time keeping everything watered. It wasn't a good year for little seedlings. None of them grew big enough to bloom and I doubt they'll come up in the spring, so try try again I guess.

I bought a little pot of phlox pilosa and one of phlox glaberrima from a nursery and the p. pilosa only bloomed for a little while after I planted it. The p. glaberimma bloomed for 3 months or more though. Both were just a common pinkish purple phlox color. Nothing special but should have an earlier bloom time than phlox paniculata.

o
RE: Phlox

Just correcting my spelling in case someone tries to look it up. It's phlox glaberrima not glaberimma. I knew there was a double letter somewhere. : )

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Native Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here