Return to the Native Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
I found an incredibly strange plant in the woods

Posted by wanderfellow (My Page) on
Sun, Sep 28, 08 at 23:44

I was hiking in the woods near a sandy creek when I found a large leafy vine bearing odd fruit. There were bright red berries hanging out of a round pod that was light pink and covered in little spikes. The pink pod would have been about half an inch wide before it split open into four quarters.

Can anybody identify this plant? If you need a picture I can upload one but it may take some time. But I think this plant must be pretty distinct so maybe a picture is not necessary. I live in the Southeastern US by the way.

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: I found an incredibly strange plant in the woods

It is Euonymus americana, not really a vine, but can appear that way. "Hearts a bustin'" is one of the common names. There are a lot of requests to id it this time of year.

o

does it look something like this?
could be one of the euonymus berries - just a guess

Here is a link that might be useful: euonymus berries

o

Euonymus americana can attain a height of 8-10 feet and the stems are very small in diameter and limber, which can give the appearance of a vine.
Here's a photo of the fruit/seed___

Photobucket

Rb

o

Wow, what a bunch of experts.

Yes, that looks just like it. The only difference is that the ones I found were a much brighter pink. Those must be it, though.

They don't seem to have any particular use other than just being interesting to look at. Perhaps I can go back and find one to put in the yard.

Thanks for your help!

o

• Posted by rbrady 5/Eastern Ia (My Page) on
    Tue, Sep 30, 08 at 18:08

If the fruit is more pink (fuschia), I would say it might be Euonymus atropurpurea (Eatern Wahoo Tree). It is also a native.

Rhonda

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Native Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here