Return to the Native Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Need advice about most responsible way to dispose of vine

Posted by topie 6 (My Page) on
Fri, Oct 2, 09 at 1:08

Hi,

The Rosa setigera we ordered just arrived and we are very excited to plant it.

We are planting the rose to replace a large wild grape vine in our garden that is infested with grape phylloxera...we don't normally eradicate any native plants except poison ivy, but the vine is a wreck from this insect, and it's in a really visible spot in our yard.

Just wondered if anyone had advice about the most responsible way to dispose of the infested grape vine. We don't burn any yard clippings or leaves, but I'm not sure if it's a good idea to compost this infested grape. There are other wild grape vines in the area that are infested this year too, but I just worry about throwing it out there on our compost pile, or dropping off the remains of the vine at the local compost center.

We also thought about just sort of throwing it somewhere in our woods, since the other wild grape in our area are already infested.

Any suggestions? Would hate to have to call some kind of professional removal company or something, but would be willing if it's recommended.

(Zone 6b, PA) Thanks in advance.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Need advice about most responsible way to dispose of vine

The most responsible way of dealing with diseased plant tissue is not to move it. You know the disease is already in your area so putting it in the woods or composting it isn't going to spread it to new areas. At worst some spores might disperse locally. Some of the worst introduced pathogens of trees, like Dutch Elm Disease, spread very rapidly because the remains of dead trees were sold as firewood and transported around the country.

o

Thanks so much for the advice lycopus...we will just add the grape to our compost pile, or put it out in our woods then. I appreciate the mention of Dutch Elm disease...that and other problems are why we try to be responsible about this sort of thing. We have bad memories of the Gypsy moth caterpillar infestation of the Northeast in the 1970s...actually one of the reasons we got so into native plants and trees...so at least something good came out of it!

Thanks again.

o

Just wanted to say thanks for the suggestion about how to compost the infested grape... we followed your advice. Happy to report that the grape phylloxera that was affecting the local wild grape vines last summer did not appear to be around much at all near us this past summer.

The native Rosa setigera we planted in place of the grape vine grew from 12 inches to at least six feet over the summer... and we had some new un-infested wild grape pop up in a few places on the land we live on, so that was great to see.

Thanks again.

o

Nice to see some good news. I just bought a Rosa setigera, by the way - am looking forward to seeing how it does next year. It is only 12 inches now ....

o

Glad to hear that your vines are doing well. I have never heard of Rosa setigera, had to look that up. Very pretty. What are you growing these vines on? I've started several native vines from seed, and they are sitting in pots because I can't figure out where to plant them. They are not particularly happy in the pots.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Native Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here