Return to the Native Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Unusual Natives: Skunk Goldenrod

Posted by jimbobfeeny 5a IN (My Page) on
Sun, Oct 21, 12 at 8:31

Native to the high Southern Appalachian Mountains, this goldenrod (Solidago glomerata) forms a luxurious carpet of thick, glossy leaves under spruce and fir. It has a most unique smell, a blend of musk, lemon, and spice. I have grown this successfully in Central Indiana; it has not bloomed yet. I'll try to post a few pictures!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Unusual Natives: Skunk Goldenrod

Am waiting for the photos. I have at least five different Solidagos at the mt., but except for S. bicolor, I really am not sure what they are. However, they are very different from the ones in the Piedmont.

Post those photos, please!

o

Yep, I was waiting for the photos too!

o

Sorry about the wait! I couldn't get photos to upload.

Here's the plants I'm growing. They are in a raised bed filled with sand and about 1 foot of loose, acidic soil.
Photobucket

This is a patch in the wild; Plants are fairly short, with upright flowers (not like most goldenrods)
Photobucket

o

They look happy, in spite of the dodder vine trying to choke them. I am not sure if I have those in the mt. or not..altitude is right...5,000'...will check out some possible locations next season.

Thanks for posting.

o

Ther are quite a few rare or threatened Solidagos in NC, but his one is not in the list, although it is listed as only in NC and TN.

I didn't realize how many different Solidagos existed until I checked the website I am including. Wow!

Here is a link that might be useful: Solidagos of North America

o

They seem to grow best in openings - ridgetops, landslides, south slopes. I've only seen them above 4,500 feet or so. Mostly in Red spruce - Fraser fir forests.

o

Yes, I saw them in August climbing up to Mt. LeConte in TN. Big flowers, big plants.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Native Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here