SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
agkistrodon

Rootstock ?

agkistrodon
10 years ago

Hello.

I usually propagate plants from seed as I can't afford to buy plants. However, I thought I'd try some rootstock this fall. I received the rootstock (Lobelia cardinalis and a couple of other species native to where I am located in Northern VA) from a seller and I planted them. Most of the rootstock had been cut at the base of the stem, but some had small but healthy looking leaves and I just buried the roots as you would a plant. My question is....we've just had our first frost and most of the seedlings that I planted in the spring (product of winter sowing in jugs) don't seem affected at all...afterall they're used to this climate...however, the rootstock got hit hard and the vegetation left on the stems will definitely die now. I'm not so concerned about this but am wondering if the roots will be ok if they really didn't have time to get adjusted before the frost hit?

Anyone have experience w/rootstock and if so is there something I can or should have done to insure that the roots are undamaged?

Thank-you!

Comments (5)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!