Return to the Native Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Native squash

Posted by nydepot 6 (My Page) on
Tue, Oct 16, 12 at 9:04

I was reading recently that several forms of squash were native to North and Central North America. And we know the native Americans were harvesting squash when the Europeans arrived.

Are there any native squash left in the Americas that are found in the wild? I have never in all my hiking seen a squash growing anywhere.

Thanks,

Charles

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Native squash

I'm assuming you are "hiking" in the US and so you're certainly out of luck. The origins of squash as I understand it are in Mesoamerica. There may be close relatives of the cultivated squashes growing in the wild but you're going to have to take a trip south, way south to Mexico and beyond to see anything like that. Squash, like corn and beans, spread amongst the Native people's of the Americas prior to Europeans coming to the New World. Many of the places they were traditionally grown by the Native peoples ended up being very far from where the food originated from. The Iroquois, who had great agricultural traditions, lived primarily across NY State - my home state. And I am very far from Mexico in both distance and growing conditions indeed!

I wrote the blurb attached some while ago on squash that might be of interest. Other New World foods featured on the same page too. Enjoy.

FataMorgana

Here is a link that might be useful: Squash

o

I'm not too far from Ganondagan.

Thanks for the info.

Charles

o

Wild gourds occur in much of the Southwestern and Midwestern United States. I've seen Missouri Gourd (Cucurbita foetidissima) growing along highways in Texas. Squashes belong to the same genus.

Ty

o

Cucurbita pepo var. ovifera, including the Acorn, Scallop, Crookneck and Straightneck types are thought to have originated from vars. texana and/or ozarkana of Texas and the lower Mississippi Basin.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Native Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here