Return to the Native Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What kind of locust?

Posted by edlincoln 6A (My Page) on
Thu, Oct 17, 13 at 9:08

My parents have what I think is a locust tree in their yard. It has been trying to spread by suckering. Can you tell if it is a Black Locust or a Honey Locust? I've never seen seeds, pods, or flowers on it.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What kind of locust?

Here is one of it's saplings.

o

Let's see mama tree :-)) Looks much more like gleditsia than robinia but I wouldn't even like to confirm that without seeing the parent. If gleditsia, I would have thought seeds pods to be present in some form on a tree mature enough to sucker..........

o

The mamma tree is leggy, tallish, and older then I am. Never had a seed pod that I could see.

o

Yes, Gleditisia, more so than Robinia. I consider them weeds. YMMV. Also FWIW, seedling-grown specimens of honeylocust can often "revert" to species form, with the most forbiddingly huge thorns in nature (As far as I've ever seen). But also, seem to be much hardier, longer-lived than the cultivars, not so prone to nectria canker, etc.

+oM

o

This is a picture of the "mamma" tree.

I don't consider any native tree that looks vaguely pretty a weed. The local conditions are terrible for trees, we've lost a lot. This one has survived a lot of abuse. If I can be sure this isn't the invasive black locust, I'll "rescue" and transplant some of the suckers onto the property lines and embankment. I don't care if they suddenly sprout thorns...they might actually be an advantage for these application.

NOTE: this tree does not have thorns.

Most of the articles I've read about the most likely candidates say they are brittle, but this tree has been exposed to a lot of wind and has never lost branches.

This post was edited by edlincoln on Thu, Oct 24, 13 at 23:31

o

Yes, I agree with you Ed, despite my earlier pronouncement-depending on where you are, honeylocust can be a good tree. I just don't like to see it planted too far north of its true range, let alone seeing groves of invasive black locust getting started far north of where the species range was originally.

It does look more honeylocust to me in the whole-tree pic. What do the twig ends look like? Honeylocust has no visible buds this time of year, but neither does BL. Incidentally, bl. locust too has thorns, But they're much smaller than those which appear on wild honeylocust. Still sharp and tough to contend with, but again, not nearly the size of those on HL.

+oM

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Native Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here