Black eyed Susans
Swamp Milkweed
Orange Milkweed
Blue great lobelia
10 petal sunflowers
Lance leafed goldenrod
a native aster

All have gone to seed.

I don't want to cut them down because I want the birds to have access to the seeds in winter. But is now the time to separate them? Or in the spring? It's a bit crowded in there.

Any other advice?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Preparing for the winter

Cutting all the dried stalks down now also diminishes winter interest. Looking at a barren patch of mud all winter is no fun, but some snow frosted dried flower heads? That is far more interesting!

I would personally wait until spring when they just begin to sprout and leaf out. Some may not survive the winter - Mother Nature weeds out the weak and unlucky. In the spring move around the survivors that need more space. Just mark your plants well now. The freezing and thawing and too often heaving of soil through the winter will push out tiny plant markers and by spring you won't remember what is where. (Yeah.....personal experience!)

FataMorgana

o

I usually divide in the spring, too - Split up a rather large clump of New England Asters this spring - I now have quite a few, even in spite of the drought.

Around here, we sometimes get the "dustings" of snow - Very pretty. More often, though, we get enough to bury the seed heads completely. I personally prefer lots of snow!

o

do you really need to divide the milkweeds? they have a taproot and may not like it...

o

I've taken the seedings from Swamp milkweed, not orange. I've given them to friends and traveled to NC with one. I'll only do this if it crowds.

o

"Cutting all the dried stalks down now also diminishes winter interest. Looking at a barren patch of mud all winter is no fun, but some snow frosted dried flower heads? That is far more interesting!" Posted by fatamorgana

I'm so glad you added that comment. I feel the same way. A blanket of snow covering a lawn is nothing in comparison to the beauty and interest of seedheads with frost or covered in snow.

Great advice from all, so I really don't have to add anything. I will, however, say that dividing in the fall is another option...especially when you know the plants will have enough time to put down roots before the ground freezes. From what I've read, the roots continue to grow well into the fall and early winter if the soil has not frozen to any significant depth.

That said, I think I tend to divide more often in spring than in fall.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Native Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here