Return to the Native Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Question about Serviceberry tree

Posted by CatherineT z5 (My Page) on
Sat, Oct 1, 05 at 12:12

Hi all,
I posted this question on the tree forum, but realized maybe I should have posted it here. We have alot of property, and I've learned from past mistakes on not growing natives. I saw some nice Serviceberries at Menards. There were "Grandiflora, Autumn Brilliance". Would this be considered a native tree? I want to be able to let the natives I plant grow similar offspring, but I don't think I can be sure of that with a hybrid. I'm not really educated on hybrids and don't know. What's your opinion of Autumn Brilliance Serviceberry? Thanks for your help.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Question about Serviceberry tree

Serviceberry grandiflora is a hybrid between two native trees, Amenlanchier canadensis and A. laevis. As a man made hybrid, it is not considered a native tree, but both the parents are native. It is more shrublike than tree like, if you want single stemmed trees you would be better off searching for A laevis species.

I don't know whether the hybrid seeds are viable, since serviceberries hybridize easily in the wild, the seeds are likely to be viable. Any seedlings will not be the same as Autumn Brilliance, and may resemble either of the parent species or be intermediate.

Here is a link that might be useful: Info About Autumn Brilliance

o

Thanks Judy,
That info helps me alot.

o

Apomixis is fairly common in Amelanchier - so, some seeds may actually give rise to genetic clones of the original - meaning that some seedlings of 'Autumn Brilliance' could, indeed, actually be, for all intents and purposes, 'Autumn Brilliance'.

o

It's worth mentioning that in Indiana the majority of Amelanchier I found in woods near Bloomington seemed to be hybrids. In areas where both parental species are native & are known to hybridize, there's no reason I can think of not to call the hybrid native.

Patrick Alexander

o

Thanks Patrick.
Actually, I went back up to Menards today and they are only $7.50 and about in 3 gallon containers. Unfortunately, when I looked more closely at them, they had all had their 3 main trunks cut about a foot up, and new growth came out of there. I started feeling that they weren't the best specimens to plant. Maybe if they go down even more in price, I might consider it and just plant them off to the edge of the property.
Wouldn't it be best to have the stems not pruned back?

o

Sounds like the stock at Menards either had dead growth cut back or was intentionally trimmed to encourage a more shrub-like habit.

If the new growth looks healthy, and if you indeed want a multi-stemmed serviceberry, it sounds like a good deal. At that price you may want to buy several! I love serviceberries, and grandiflora is supposed to be especially showy.

o

THanks John.

o

Native enough, a nice looking plant in a slightly 'wild' way, and very good for birds & critters.

Go for it if you don't mind "bushy" (vs a straight main trunk). They tend to end up that way anyway, cut or not.

o

Thanks Sandy,
I bought 2 of them ($7.50 each) and they are planted. When I go back to Menards, I may buy a couple more. We are packed solid on my property with trees and bushes, but I just can't stop! :)

o

Amelanchier grandiflora is a naturally occuring hybrid that arises anywhere that the ranges of A. arborea and A. laevis overlap. To assume that all hybrids are of man made origin is wrong minded, to say the least.

o

• Posted by Mozart2 Zone 5 Michigan (My Page) on
    Thu, Nov 10, 05 at 22:55

CatherineT:

Sorry, to arrive at this post a little late, but I thought you might be interested in the Amelanchier arborea, which I fell in love with after reading "Dirr's Hardy Trees and Shrubs". I'll plant it this weekend, when I have finally determined where to site it.

In addition to this source, you might also check the link below, which regards this tree/shrub as a "plant of merit".

Once you link to the suggested site at the bottom of this posting you will find possible sources for purchase of any plant you wish to add to your garden.

Since you have purchased several of the "Autumn Brillance" varieties, I thought you'd enjoy the link below as well.

Amelanchier x grandiflora 'Autumn Brilliance' Plant of Merit

http://www.mobot.org/gardeninghelp/plantfinder/Plant.asp?code=B240

In addition to this web site, you might also explore the web site of the Morton Arboretum located in Lisle, Illinois - west of Chicago. Their main web address is given just below. Look under "Plant Information" for their "Tree & Shrub Selection Guide" and the "Sterling Morton Library". If needed you may email the reference librarians for further information, suggested readings, sources of plant material, etc. And, of course, if you're in the neighborhood, plan a nice visit at this 1600 acre treasured gem.

The Morton Arboretum's main web site.

http://www.mortonarb.org/

A map of the Arboretum.

http://www.mortonarb.org/maps/wholemap_rollovers.html

The Sterling Morton Library.

http://www.mortonarb.org/visitor_information/smlibrary/smlibrary.htm

The same goes for the Missouri Botanical Garden located in St. Louis. The informational "search" called "PlantFinder" is the best that I've encountered to date. This treasured gem is worth at least a 1.5 day visit.

Here's their main web page.

http://www.mobot.org

A virtual tour of this garden.

http://www.mobot.org/hort/tours/tourintro.shtml

The link to their fabulous searching tool.

http://www.mobot.org/gardeninghelp/plantfinder/Search.asp

Hope you get to enjoy both of these places sometime in the near future.

Best wishes,

Bill

Here is a link that might be useful: Amelanchier arborea - Plant of Merit

o

Hello all,

I found the Serviceberry tree after searching for bird-loving plants. Living in central Oklahoma (zone 7) I am not familiar with this tree, though there may be some grown here. I notice that it is listed as zone 4 to 7. Such a beautiful tree! I would love to plant several and would like to know if anyone in my area knows if it will grow here.

Is it an understory tree? We often have hot, dry or hot humid summers (in the 90s to 100s) and clay to clay-sandy soil. If they do grow here, which are the best native/hybrids? I have searched for info, but am finding none to answer these questions--any help by you all would be very appreciated!

Happy Gardening! Linda

o

Yes, servicberry is mainly an understory tree, though it often grows best (with most flowers and fruit) in woodland openings such as forest margins and streamsides. Perhaps under marginal conditions (like central OK?) it might do better in the shade.

Downy serviceberry is native to eastern Oklahoma. I don't think it is very picky about soil conditions, but it is usally found in typical woodland soil conditions (not compacted, with a layer of organic surface litter). It will tolerate som clay butI would recommend finding a site with rocky soil or on a slope to improve drainage.

Here is a link that might be useful: Serviceberry in Oklahoma

o

We purchased a Serviceberry Tree 2 summers ago at a local garden center. We previously had one when we lived in IL and loved it! The multiple trunks were very attractive in the front yard landscaping. The one we currently purchased has very tight together multiple trunks. My question is: Is there a danger in the branches and trunks having tight contact with one another? Should I/can I stake them to try to spread them apart as they mature or will have destroy the tree?

o

I planted Downy Serviceberry trees (just 3ft.tall)last fall. Do I need to spray them for any kind of bug? We live in Arkansas just on the border of Oklahoma.I lost an Almond tree and peach trees from not spraying. Also, the instructions that came with them said not to fertilize them until the next season. The area is open and rather clay soil. I noticed you said to add leaf copost. Now what?Should I mulch around them with compost, or will it help?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Native Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here