Return to the Native Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Looking for rare plant: Stewartia malacodendron

Posted by Asimina76 7 (My Page) on
Wed, Oct 3, 12 at 12:36

Hello, and thanks for reading. I fell in love with Stewartia malacodendron when I found one growing in the wild in a state park. I am quite strict about only growing natives, so I'm not interested in Asian varieties of Stewartia. S. malacodendron has a white flower with a dark center (varies from blue-black-purple). I uploaded an image to help with ID. Has anyone seen this plant for sale? I have had some trouble finding it.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Looking for rare plant: Stewartia malacodendron

Niche gardens near Chapel Hill used to carry this, but I don't see it listed. However, they sometimes have small numbers of plants that are not listed in the catalog. Call them.

I would also try we-Du Meadowbrook near Marion, NC. He has been selling at half price, so there may not be any left. You can Google that one.

Mine are small, so no flowers yet, but I saw a huge stand of them in the wild two years ago, and that was a magnificent sight.

Here is a link that might be useful: Niche

o

Click through some of the links from the google search below...

FataMorgana

Here is a link that might be useful: Google Search Results

o

Thank you both for the suggestions. Fatamorgana, none of the search results in your google search have the plant in stock. I joined a waiting list, as that was the only option for now.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Native Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here