Return to the Native Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
wild cosmos; annual or perennial?

Posted by chueh 7 GA (My Page) on
Thu, Oct 18, 07 at 13:00

I ordered wild flowers online. As I noticed, this vendor includes wild cosmos in their annual wild flower mix as well as perennial mix. I sowed seeds early fall. They are flowering now. I suppose that my wild cosmos are annual then???? What is your take on that? Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: wild cosmos; annual or perennial?

There's more than one name flower with that common name so the plant I've linked to, might not be the plant you have. If I guessed correctly, it's an annual.

If I haven't guessed correctly, try giving the scientific name if you can find it out and/or do a Google search choosing images to see if you can figure out the plant.

Sorry to give what might be more bad, but some wildflower mixes include plants that have come from other areas, even sometimes invasives like Hesperis matronalis(Dame's Rocket).

Lori

Here is a link that might be useful: Ladybird Johnson Wildflower Center link to

o

Your cosmos are annual. They may reappear next spring from seed that didn't sprout this fall or seeds grown by the ones that have bloomed this fall.

o

Chueh, I planted cosmos about 5 years ago.Haven't needed to plant anymore since then. I have purples ,pinks and whites that bloom and after the flower petals fall off ,I just take a pair of shears and clip of the heads ,letting them fall right straight down.Thats all I do.I never put them under soil or cover them with anything.Nice batches appear every year..And if they start to take over,they are shallow rooted so you can pull them out easily and keep them in check. Tom in Pa.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Native Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here