Return to the Native Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Echinacea paradoxa?

Posted by catherinet z5 (My Page) on
Sun, Oct 29, 06 at 13:10

Hi,
Anyone ever grow Echinacea paradoxa? It's yellow with a big brown cone in the middle. I bought one at a local nursery this week. Anyhow have it?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Echinacea paradoxa?

Planted it first time this spring. I bought one at a nursery, and then found some small 4" pot seedlings at a stand selling them as herbs. Hope they grow well, but have fingers crossed for this winter.

George

o

I've had them for around 7 yrs I want to say. The only time I had a problem was when I wanted one moved and my husband didn't hear me say it has a long taproot, so he didn't get all of it and that one died. I've had them at 3 different houses now.

o

Has anyone grown this from seed? I tried last year and nothing germinated for me. Am not even sure if this thing is hardy in my zone but I really want to give it a try.

o

I grew it 3 years ago from seed. This year one of my trees grew to where it gets some afternoon shade and it didn't like it, so will be moved this spring to full sun again.

o

I've been growing Echinacea paradoxa (Bush's Coneflower) here in S.E. MN for over 10 years. Seeds can be fall planted or cold moist stratified for several months if planting in spring. My soil varies from silt to clay loam and plants seem to tolerate moist to dry conditions and our occasional -25F. temps. I've also found it easy to transplant when dormant in the early spring or late fall.
Most of the Echinaceas will cross and you can get some interesting hybrids by gowing E. pallida, E. tennesseensis, or E. angustifolia next to each other. Bill

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Native Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here