Return to the Native Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Saving lobelia seed

Posted by willwillis 5 (My Page) on
Fri, Oct 11, 13 at 13:30

Hello, this is my first post on here. I have been following this site forever though. I bought a few cardinal flower plants this year. One died, one is still a rosette and one did really well. It is covered with seed pods. They have taken forever to dry down. They are beside a pond in a protected location from wind and under a large oak tree. I guess this is contributing to the slow ripening of the seeds but from reading another thread on here it is also the nature of the plant. I don't want to dig the plant up or stress the plant because I have read cardinal flowers don't really tolerate that. Does anyone have any ideas. It's getting pretty late here and I'm afraid I won't get any viable seed. There are about fifty pods on the plant. About five look dry. Of those five I stripped a couple off and the seeds were formed but very wet. Thanks for any help. Willie

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Saving lobelia seed

At some point you can cut off the top of the stalk (where the pods are) and put that in paper bag to let them finish drying. The bag will capture any seeds that fall out during the process.

o

Thanks that's good advice we are supposed to get some rain soon I will be sure to do that before then

o

Leave the top of the bag open for good air circulation. I use one of those large paper grocery bags.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Native Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here