Return to the Native Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Sambucus Mexicana Trauma

Posted by forthebees (My Page) on
Tue, Oct 23, 12 at 15:11

Several of the native plants I planted last fall died this summer, due to insufficient watering (my over-reaction to having killed off dozens in previous years by over-watering). So I pulled them up and they were, indeed, quite dead. But today I pulled out the Sambucus Mexican (because that, too, looked very dead) and found, to my sorrow, that its roots were still plump and healthy. I put back into the earth almost instantly, tamped down the earth around its roots, and watered it quite deeply. Can anyone here guesstimate its chances of survival?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Sambucus Mexicana Trauma

Can anyone here guesstimate its chances of survival?
I'm an optimist, so think that it will probably survive just fine.

Where are you located?

I'm wondering if it might be best to cut it back some? If it is tall, might it need staking so the roots can take hold and root back in?

See the link below for getting your location (garden zone and location...see I am 5/6 S INdiana) set up so that it will automatically be shown whenever you make a post.

Sue

Here is a link that might be useful: Edit your profile

o

These plants look like dead about half the time. They're native to the Baja and Mexican coastal regions but can adapt to a variety of areas. They're wired to respond to rainfall and cooler temps, basically monsoon conditions, but will often go dormant and look dead after a harsh summer or extended dry conditions.
You don't say where you live so I can't comment on durability. The plant is pretty tough though so it might survive it's recent treatment esp. since it sounds like it was dormant. I'm in southern NM and the plant greens up for a brief time in the summer and then again in the Fall or early winter. Usually in time to get hammered by a freeze and then it goes back to looking dead.
Not my favorite plant, they really get ripped apart by high winds in our area, they need severe pruning to look nice and they look dead too much of the year. I'd rather spend my water $$ on something else.
Keep in mind it's not a tree, just a giant shrub.

o

No problem, you just bareroot planted a dormant plant. FWIW, it's native and grows profusely in Southern California and can be a shrub or a tree. Theodore Payne Foundation, Rancho Santa Ana Botanic Garden, Las Pilitas Nursery websites can guide you to watering requirements to establish new plants and whether plants are deciduous, summer or winter dormant.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Native Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here