Return to the Native Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
I'm looking for an ID on these wild growing plants

Posted by sgrams MN (My Page) on
Sun, Oct 14, 12 at 15:19

they grew very well this past extremely dry summer while the grass seed did not do as well, someone said they resemble turnip plants, the leaves have a purplish tinge, I haven't noticed a bloom. Thanks for any help.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: I'm looking for an ID on these wild growing plants

That's exactly what it looks like, turnip greens; is there any sign of a "turnip" bulb? Compare to the pix located here:
http://wildpicnic.blogspot.com/2009/09/wild-turnip-brassica-rapa-ssp.html

o

Certainly a Brassica of some description. Is it located in arable land? You sometimes get weeds like this in fields that have formerly grown Canola.

o

Thank you both for the replies, this soil is what I would think is of poor quality alongside a hill that was bulldozed to improve a personal driveway facing east, both the newly exposed earth and the fill scraped off the surface used for fill below the driveway grew these plants, I immediately spread some "highway mix" seed to grow on the new surfaces but the dry summer seemed to allow these things to grow best, I believe these blew in and not part of the mix. There are so far no blooms and no bulb but sort of a carrot looking root difficult to pull out which I don't have a picture of.

o

Maybe rutbaga? The leaves look too smooth for turnip to me. Was it farmland before the houses were there? Scraping the soil could bring old seed to the surface.

o

I suppose it could be rutbaga, this land was used for farming many years back and I'm not sure what was grown there however a neighbor about one half mile away had some excavating done for his new house and the same type of plants have grown there too, I was thinking someone else might have had these growing too under similar circumstances and know just what they are, I hope by next summer we receive more moisture so grass and wildflowers can grow.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Native Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here