SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gardenspuds

Native for hillside to replace Vinca

gardenspuds
14 years ago

Hi. We've slowly been planting some natives in our garden, which is in the woods (oak, bay and redwood). The garden gets no sun in the winter, but afternoon sun in the summer. I live north of San Francisco, I believe in zone 10.

Behind the house is a rocky hill, about 12 ft. tall. On top of the hill we have planted Toyon, Snowberry and Coffee berry, all doing well with a little irrigation last summer.

On the slope of the hill, and into the top of the hill, Vinca dominates as well as Blackberry. We removed most of the blackberry last year because it was so invasive and taking over. I'd like to replace the Vinca with a ground cover to prevent erosion. I know we may never completely get rid of the Vinca, it grows amazingly well back there, but want to plant something native that may compete with the Vinca. Because we use drip irrigation for the shrubs, the side of the hill doesn't get any water in the summer, except for maybe every 2-3 weeks when I manually water to keep the Vinca perky. I'm not particularly fond of the Vinca because it gets out of control and chokes the other plants if not kept under control, and I would prefer something native. Thought about letting the blackberries take over, but I've gotten too many thorns in my finger and scrapes on my arms from the thorns just trying to keep it under control.

Any thoughts?

Thanks.

Barbara

Comments (2)

Sponsored