Return to the Native Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Introduction of NON-native plants

Posted by johnnieb Washington, DC (My Page) on
Mon, Oct 2, 06 at 16:04

I'm not sure just where to ask this question, but on another board I have encountered somebody who claims to be spreading seeds of a plant that is not native to his area, in hopes of getting it to establish and naturalize. I think this is unethical but suspect it may be illegal as well, particularly on state or federal parkland, but have had a hard time finding out what laws regulate this kind of thing. Does anybody know, or can anybody point me in the right direction?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Introduction of NON-native plants

In most states unless the plant is considered a weed in that state it is not unlawful to spread seeds. Just not very smart. On this list you will see people ask for seeds from a totally different part of the country for their native garden. They are not criminals just well meaning people that have not done their research and are facinated with the thought of native plants. The only thing you can do is suggest kindly that what they are doing may disrupt the ecology of the area the person is spreading the seeds or plants.

Keep a sense of humor as you read. When someone from the northwest asks for seeds or cuttings for their native garden from the deep south try not to get mad. I post wacky things myself. Until a month ago I was unaware that there was a basil that would winter over.

o

Unless the plant is classified as a noxious plant in that state, I think that this is the only part that may be of concern: particularly on state or federal parkland.

I'm sure those people don't appreciate people spreading seeds on state/federal property. Why one might consider that littering in one sense.

o

I think that you will find that spreading non-native seeds in national parks is quite illegal, and hopefully this is true for state parks too, although each state can set up its own rules there. What I have seen national parks do when they want to rehabilitate or revegetate an area, they not only restrict themselves to native species found in the park, but try to use locally collected seed or cuttings to avoid introducing new genetics into the park. I would call the parks in question to find out what the rules are.

This person should be made aware that invasive species costs the US more than $138 billion/year. We do not want non-native species introduced to our native parklands.

Here is a link that might be useful: Invasive species

o

at least the plants introduced from the south up into the Pacific Northwest might not live too long....the growth pattern is very different region to region.

o

The growth pattern is what holds a plant in check in one area but if moved to another with better growth conditions can cause a plant to become invasive in a non-native area or kill it. This is one reason that I dislike plants that are sold as native without any mention of where they are native at and the seed packets that list native plants that are native to europe and asia not north america.

o

Like trespassing, I would think it is illegal to spread seed on land you do not own. Spreading on your own land, as long as not on the local noxious weed list, would be allowed.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Native Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here