Return to the Native Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Tree Id- Magnolia?

Posted by fairfield8619 Zone 8 NW LA (My Page) on
Sun, Oct 6, 13 at 17:03

This is in the lot next door in the understory. Big thick leaves and stems with some tomentum on the stems especially. It seems to shoot directly from the ground but it might have been cut off at some point. Oddly, my FIL had the same thing planted in his yard but he's not around anymore so sadly I can't ask him. Apparently it must be something interesting. It seems reminiscent of of a deciduous native magnolia to me but it may be the large leaves leading me to that. I just bought a M. macrophylla but it doesn't quite look the same. I'm in north la.
 photo DSCF4314.jpg photo DSCF4318.jpg photo DSCF4319.jpg photo DSCF4320.jpg

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Tree Id- Magnolia?

I'm not in your area but have seen a few native mag species and I don't think any of them had serrated/toothed leaves. Beyond that I can't help. I'm sure someone else will know!

o

I'm with adidas... does look like some magnolia at first, but doubt it with those small spikes on the margin. You would probably get a quick answer posting it over on the NTP forum.

Here is a link that might be useful: GW Name That Plant forum

o

Good idea! Thanks

o

Noticed the NTP folks identified it as loquat (Eriobotrya japonica) - may explain why nobody on a forum for North American native plants recognized it ;-)

Here is a link that might be useful: Answer on GW NTP forum

o

• Posted by aswhad belgium-europe (My Page) on
    Wed, Oct 16, 13 at 16:01

Looks like Eriobotrya japonica to me to.
the seeds germinate quiet easy maybe that explains it.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Native Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here