Return to the Native Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Creek bank plant ID help.

Posted by stokes NC (My Page) on
Sun, Oct 1, 06 at 17:03

We live on the bank of a creek in northern NC above Winston Salem. This plant has baffled me in my attempts to identify it on the internet.
There are only two of these that I can find and the leaves are starting to droop and die.
The best way to describe it is a stalk about 3 or 4 feet high with what looks like a giant strawberry coming out the center of the stalk. Each stem of the stalk has only one very large leaf. Obviously seeds, they look like Magnolia seeds but are very bright red and some are larger than Magnolia seeds. I can't see if there is a well defined cob under the seeds. The leaves are not waxy at all like Magnolia but are very large and similar in texture to most stalky weeds. I would guess that it is an annual. The two look like they sprouted out of a rotted stump at the very edge of the creekbed in very rich, sometimes sandy soil.
I have pictures as well but obviously don't know how to upload them. Will be glad to send them.
Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Creek bank plant ID help.

How about Jack in the Pulpit, Arisaema triphyllum?

Here is a link that might be useful: Arisaema triphyllum

o
RE: Creek bank plant ID help.

Was wrong about only one leaf per stem. There are three leafs per stem but only one leaf branch per stem.
I think that the first response named the plant correctly.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Native Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here