SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
giantslug

Invasive cool season grasses, impossible to eradicate?

giantslug
15 years ago

I am so frustrated with Kentucky bluegrass, Smooth brome and reed canary grass, I have had no success in eradicating them from my prairie, savanna and wetland restoration projects. I have been using Poast (Sethoxydim) for the past 3 years now and the Poast does not even kill the above ground parts unless I mix it double strength, and it still take 4 weeks to see any results. The grass then comes back from its roots. I have sprayed some areas 3 times now this year and the grass is still coming back! I have also sprayed some areas in early spring with Glyphosate and I end up killing a lot of forbs and warm season grasses that I want to keep. I've read that there is a time window in early spring when cool season grasses come up but other plants are dormant, but here most of the forbs and warm season grasses start growing at the same time the cool season plants come up! I really want to selectively kill off the exotic cool season grasses and plant native ones but it seems like this is hopeless unless I kill everything. Can anyone give me some advice on how to get rid of these grasses without harming everything else or should I just give up and start over with my restoration projects?

Comments (2)

Sponsored
Capital City Construction & Remodeling
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars6 Reviews
Franklin County's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living