Return to the Native Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
persimmon trees

Posted by goldenjoe (My Page) on
Wed, Oct 31, 07 at 18:07

Can anyone tell me if native persimmons can have male and female trees?

A neighbor has a tree from seeds she got in the Ozarks about 20 years ago and it has never produced fruit.

Thanks
Joe

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: persimmon trees

The wild native trees are usually male or female, but can occasionally be self-fertile. I have seen isolated trees that had fruit every year, with no other trees within miles to pollinate it.
There are selected varieties that are propagated or grafted, that produce larger fruit and are self-fertile. Many nurseries that stock native trees, often have a selection of these.
I grew up in the Ozarks and it was always a treat to find some ripe fruit on a tree during the fall. You learn at a very early age to determine the really ripe one's :<), from the near ripe one's! :o(

Here is a link that might be useful: Diospyros

o

True enough, this species is dioecious (has both males and females). As the writer above mentioned, some cultvars have been found to be partially self-fertile.

You'd have already seen persimmons on a 20 year-old tree if it were female. The good news is that if your friend wants fruit, she already has a male for pollination...all she has to do now is get a female...or better yet...a number of female persimmon trees!!! Good luck!

Here is a link that might be useful: persimmonpudding.com

o

I have a tree that is diesease with a type of web.
Can some one email me and let me know how to correct this problem.

thanks God Bless

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Native Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here