Return to the Native Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
`How to preserve seed

Posted by Green_Gitano none (My Page) on
Sun, Oct 6, 13 at 19:46

I'm interested in learning how to preserve seeds and keep them fertile. I'd like to use some cherry seeds

1) How long do cherry, pear and apple seeds stay fertile?

2) The seeds will be rattling around, is it possible to protect them with some type of natural gel that would dissolve in water.Is there something like this on the market today that exists?

3)What are the best tree seeds that, plant easily, stay fertile the longest and are the most durable

Thanks for your help

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: `How to preserve seed

Hi Green_Gitano, There is actually a Seed Saving forum on GW that may have more to offer on your questions if posted there; responses on this forum may be few and/or slow because they are not specific to north American native plants.

Here is a link that might be useful: GW Seed Saving forum

o

Green_Gitano,
Trees like cherries, apples, pears, etc. are not usually grown directly from seed. I don't understand the whole process, but they require special grafting onto root stock to grow the way you see them in orchards. I don't know if a seed-grown fruit tree would work or not. You might check in at the Harvest forum or Fruit forum.

Martha

o

Martha is correct, but years ago my neighbor grew a plum tree from a grocery store plum seed. The tree is now more than 30 years old and huge. If you like to play with seeds, it is worth a try.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Native Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here