Return to the Native Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Red Pine Lily - in the wild

Posted by ronkw 8b LA (My Page) on
Fri, Oct 22, 10 at 19:54

Found this (Lilium catesbaei) growing down in the wet bottom.
Took the photo last month, the show lasted a week or so.
Needless to say I was very happy with this find.
It was blooming in two places, about 100' apart.

I've had this land 20yrs, they have never bloomed until now.
They are now getting more light, since Hurricane Katrina. In addition, I got in there afterwards, chain saw in hand, then followed up with several low intensity burns over the past 5yrs.
Voila, conditions are right.
pine lily

pine lily

pine lily

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Red Pine Lily - in the wild

Gorgeous! I'm sure you are right about what happened. So glad the lily was there when the right conditions came along.

o

Beautiful pics of a gorgeous lily. That's great it could grow successfully after the changes to your land. Do you manage it for a particular purpose i.e. to control invasive plants?

o

As ash ga wrote, it was probably because of the changes that allowed/encouraged it to flower. I suspect the plant as been there for some time, but was not getting enough sun.
Fire stimulates an amazing number of our natives.

I do a lot of work to manage for wildlife in general.
Food production and shelter.
Two or three "open" areas get burned frequently, once every year or two. Some is deep, mature woods, not much to do there. Constantly looking for Invasives.
They are removed with extreme prejudice. :)
Chinese privet/ligustrum is the worst.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Native Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here