Return to the Native Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
R Nelly Holly

Posted by whodaz NC (My Page) on
Wed, Oct 28, 09 at 20:15

Hello there..
I have about 310 R Nelly Hollies in Monroe NC as a privacy fence around 2 acres and about 20 of them look kind of yellow instead of the shiney dark green the others have.. A friend of mine saw them and said I need to feed them. He said I should get some Pelletized fertilizer, and that a 50 pound bag should be enough for all of them.. and to get a little tube thing to feed them with since there is so many.. I have no idea what tube or what kind of fertilizer to use.. can someone help me out here.. thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: R Nelly Holly

If you're talking about 'Nellie R. Stevens' holly, it is not a native plant. It is a female hybrid plant, a cross between the English holly and the Chinese holly.

Not sure what your friend meant, but generally you can get some 10-10-10 fertilizer (very common at Home Depot/Lowes) and just throw it out around the base of the plants.

o

today I just got 10-10-10 fertilizer but it says lawn on the label. is that the same thing or what should I look for at lowes or home depot?

o

about the fertilizer spreader I think he was talking about something like this.. http://www.pbigordon.com/professional/page.php?id=504 do you know them?

o

10-10-10 is commonly used for lawns, but it is also a good all purpose fertilizer.

I personally would not bother with a spreader because it costs more money and then you have to store it. But if you think you'd use a spreader for other things (like your lawn), then by all means consider it.

o

alright sounds good.. I dont think I need to use the spreader for the lawn but do you recommend an easy way to spread the fertilizer for these 310 R Nelly Stevens? and how much should I give each tree like a hand full?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Native Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here