Return to the Native Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
seem to be wild flowers, but not sure?

Posted by chueh 7b ga (My Page) on
Sat, Oct 4, 08 at 21:43

I was sowing wild flower seeds last spring and fall on the hill. Most of them ran down after heavy rainfalls. I have some volunteer plants looking like weeds in my garden bed adjacent to the hill, but I wonder if they are actually the wild flowers.

Another plant having tiny purple flowers with almost rounded needle like leaves. They are everywhere, even present at the border between my property and that of the neighbor's. The green plant on the left corner is not the same type of plant. The purple flower plant is actually growing sideway from the right.

Sorry for the blurry picture, but I was trying to get a close-up of the leaves.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: seem to be wild flowers, but not sure?

The first set of pictures looks like Goldenrod, Solidago is the genus name.

The second set of pictures looks like an Aster (of which there are many).

o

Thank you.

There are a lot of huge goldenrod in my backyard. I hope that those in my garden bed are not going to grow like the other huge kind.

Ok. so are goldenrod and wild aster categorized as weeds? Are they invasive?

o

A weed is only an undesirable plant for the area you are considering planting.
Weeds are generally considered to be plants not native to the area.
The plants you have may be just natives. Easy to find out. Check out a local book on native plants for your area.

o

Goldenrod and asters put on a beautiful fall display when few other plants are blooming. Many people find the plants desirable as evidenced by the varieties and cultivars of asters and goldenrod sold at garden centers and nurseries. Both are perennials and will spread but then most perennials spread where growing conditions are good for them.

FataMorgana

o

I like the wild flowers. They are only a weed if you consider them to be.
It looks pretty steep You might want to check out the Alpine forum, there you can find out what kind of plants will survive planted on a hill or ledge type of landscape.

Here is a link that might be useful: Alpines

o

I have both goldenrod and wild aster behind my house and I love both. However I am glad they are growing in a "wilder" area rather than in my flower beds. They have not been invasive for me, and as someone already mentioned, they are beautiful in the fall, when not much is blooming...

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Native Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here